From the History of Richland County, compiled by A.A. Graham
Published ca 1880 by A.A. Graham & Co., Publishers, Mansfield, Ohio
[Note: bold faced type and underlining added]
"The infirmary of Richland Countyerected, in 1845-46, on the northwest quarter of Section 25, in Weller Township. Before the erection of this building, the paupers and insane of the county had been "farmed out "- that is, the Commissioners had found homes for them wherever they could among the farmers and people or the county, paying a stipulated sum each year for their maintenance. The Commissioners, at the time of the erection of the infirmary, were William Taggart, William B. Hammett and John McCool. They purchased a quarter section of land from Nathaniel Osborn, for which they paid $3,000. The building was a substantial brick structure, and was finished in the fall of 1846, the Commissioners appointing Samuel Linn, of Franklin; John Meredith, of Madison, and Richard Condon, of Mifflin, first Directors, who were to hold their offices until others could be elected. Lowery Sibbett, of Mansfield, was the first Superintendent. In June, 1878, this infirmary building was destroyed by fire and, at the October election of the same year, the people voted to build a new one, which has been in course of erection during the last year, and is now completed."
"The Richland County Infirmary is situated in the center of Weller Township. It is beautifully situated on the western slope of the Big Hill, on the Mansfield & Olivesburg road. In accordance with an act of the Legislature, proceedings were inaugurated by the County Commissioner in the year 1846, toward its erection. William Taggart, William B. Hammett, and John McPool were acting in that capacity at that time. The farm of one hundred and sixty acres was bought of the heirs of Nathaniel Osbun, and the contract for making brick and putting up the building was given to Col. Weaver, of Ganges, for $4,500. As Col. Weaver claimed he had lost money in the enterprise, the Commissioners humanely added a little pile to it as extras, but the house was finished, and the following year was occupied in accordance with its legitimate purpose. The first Board of Directors elected to take charge of its conduct were Richard Condon, Christopher Horn, and Samuel Lind.
These men appointed Lowry Sibbet, of Mansfield, as Steward, and his lady, Mrs. Sibbet, was duly installed as Matron. The institution was managed as well, perhaps, as the average of such institutions throughout the State, and, as a benevolent institution, was a credit to the country. The average number of paupers accommodated within its walls was about seventy-five or eighty.
In June 1877, the old building was burned down, and great inconvenience was experienced in making temporary provision for the inmates till another building could be provided. Plans and specifications were presented during the year 1878, and in the spring of 1879, the contract was let to Sheets & Frayer, and the work commenced. The building is much more elaborate and expensive than the old one, and will cost between $30,000 and $40,000. It is a very handsome building, and makes a fine appearance from the Atlantic & Great Western Railroad. The present officers under whose directions it was built are William Newlon, J.F. Gerhart, and Peter Snapp. Present Stewart in charge is William Gates.