THE FIRST POPE COUNTY POOR FARM was located in the area of what is now Highway 164 about three miles east of Dover at the intersection with Hurley Road. The 80-acre poor farm, with 30 acres cleared and a log house and barn, was purchased by the county in 1876 for $400. The property was sold for $100 in 1885. No traces remain to show the exact locations of the poor farm buildings or of the pauper cemetery. Traces of the cemetery were still visible -­ fieldstone markers denoting the location of nine graves -- in the mid 1970s in an area of the original pauper farm property near the highway. (Photo by Laura L. Shull, Quarterly Co­Editor.)



Return to ARKANSAS HOME
21                (cont'd)