HISTORICAL MARKERS

The following material was found by searching the Texas Historic Sites Atlas on the website of the
 Texas Historical Commission

Note: We could not provide direct links to these pages because they could only be found by a search technique which would not yield fixed URLs.  PHL

NAVARRO County

Smith-McCrery Home
Marker Number: 11636
Marker Title: Smith-McCrery Home
Index Entry: Smith-McCrery Home
Address: 1306 W 4th Ave
City: Corsicana
County: Navarro
UTM Zone: 14
UTM Easting: 737956
UTM Northing: 3552981
Subject Codes: BH
Year Marker Erected: 1984
Designations: na
Marker Location:  
Marker Size: 18" x 28"
Repairs Completed:  
Marker Text: Built in 1880, this house originally was the residence of Dr. John R. Smith, who served as the mayor of Corsicana from 1883 until 1885. During his term of office, Smith organized the volunteer fire department and helped Navarro County set up a poor farm at Petty's Chapel, where prisoners without money could work off their fines. In 1898 the home was purchased by Mrs. A. W. McCrery, a widow who brought her ten daughters and her mother-in-law to live here. The house remained in the McCrery family until 1967.

Return to TEXAS            HOME