HISTORICAL MARKERS

The following material was found by searching the Texas Historic Sites Atlas on the website of the
 Texas Historical Commission

Note: We could not provide direct links to these pages because they could only be found by a search technique which would not yield fixed URLs.  PHL
Galveston County Poor Farm
Marker Number: 7467
Marker Title: Site of Galveston County Poor Farm
Index Entry: Galveston County Poor Farm
Address: 807 SH 3 N
City: League City
County: Galveston
UTM Zone: 15
UTM Easting: 296233
UTM Northing: 3266721
Subject Codes:  
Year Marker Erected: 1997
Designations: na
Marker Location: Walter G. Hall Park near baseball field, 807 SH 3 N
Marker Size: 27" x 42"
Repairs Completed: not placed yet
Marker Text: The Galveston County Commissioners Court began planning in 1886 to purchase a farm to house and care for the county's indigent citizens. A site was chosen and by June 1887 the county bought 213 acres of land on the banks of Clear Creek. The first building constructed was designed by local architect Nicholas J. Clayton and contained a dining hall. Joe Meyers was hired as the first superintendent. Those house at the farm included county citizens who were poor, elderly, mentally ill, and convicted of crimes.All physically able residents were required to help with farming chores. Funding for maintaining the farm was inadequate, and complaints about living conditions were investigated by the county. Portions of the poor farm land were sold to help finance operation of the facility. By 1913, the Commissioners Court closed the site. The land lay dormant until 1928, when the Galveston County Park was established at the urging of local citizens. A pavilion was constructed in 1929, and the park became the site for recreational activities and social gatherings. The pavilion was refurbished in 1975 and reconstructed in 1994 after a fire. In 1985 the site was named the Walter G. Hall Park. (1997)

Return to TEXAS            HOME