ANDERSON
the Poorhouse Story
TEXAS POORHOUSE HISTORY by county
 

HISTORICAL MARKER:

"Although county records show some attempts to care for the poor as early as the 1860s, property for a poor farm was not purchased until 1884. Various buildings were erected, including housing for residents and a caretaker, storage barns, a cotton gin, and a canning operation. A jail building was also in use for convict laborers who worked on the farm and on county roads. The ruins of several wells can still be seen throughout the property. A cemetery containing some 75-100 graves is located near the southern edge of the original farm site. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986."

 

LOCAL NOTES:

An article about their poor farm history can be found in an issue of The Tracings from the Anderson County Genealogical Society at http://www.tvec.net/~bonniew/acgs/publist.htm where you can find a description as follows: Vol. XI. No 3. October 1992 -- Every name Index to Kate Hunter Papers, Vol. 5; Early Times in Palestine; Weaver Runaway Notice; Poor Farm History; Confederate Veterans Association; Elkhart Graduation Class, 1915; 1913 Masonic Lodges; Automobile Registrations; Steamboat Days on the Trinity River; First Congregational Church; Mrs. Annie Richardson's Obituary  $4.00

the Poorhouse Story
PERSONAL NOTES FROM READERS:

the Poorhouse Story
RECORDS:

 

the Poorhouse Story
CEMETERIES:

the Poorhouse Story

We are hoping to build this base of information about the poorhouse in  ANDERSON county through the helpful participation of readers. All are requested to submit items of interest by sending e-mail to The Poorhouse Lady.

HOME             Back to find Other  TEXAS COUNTIES