"In 1889 the BLOUNT County Court (now Blount County Commission) established a
county ``poor house'' which was later known as the ``poor farm'' where it housed
people who were county charges. Food raised on the farm was used to feed the
residents as far as possible and the county funded the operation of the farm
which was operated in the area until July 1995."
Quoted from an article previously carried in the on-line edition of The
NOTES FROM READERS:
from the 1850 Census, BLOUNT Co.
We are hoping to build this
base of information about the poorhouse in Blount
through the helpful participation of readers. All are requested
to submit items of interest by sending e-mail
to The Poorhouse Lady.