First poor farm purchased, superintendent appointed
This is another historical article on Anderson County and her people. June 30, 1983.
By Katherine B. Hoskins
Part III p. 405
| In July 1854 the
Anderson County Quarterly Court, for the second time, made plans to
purchase a poor farm and house "for the reception and accommodation
of the paupers of Anderson County." This time they were able
to find a suitable place and carry through with their plans.
The Court instructed the committee "to prepare for the erection of a poor house, either by purchase, or lease for a number of years, some two or three miles from the town of Clinton, to purchase no higher than $1,000 nor lower than $200, or to lease for not less than three years or more than 15years, and report at the next term of Court."
The committee to carry out these instructions consisted of Calvin Adkins, John Key, Samuel D. Leinart, James Moore and Samuel C. Young.
The committee reported to the Court on Nov. 11, 1854, that they had procured a suitable site by purchase from James F. Strader for the sum of $425. It was situated about one mile northwest of Clinton, contained about 65 acres, in which there was a double building, affording two large sleeping rooms, which would take care of both sexes of the paupers. The farm adjoined the lands of R. B. Strong, William Rains and J. I. Shipes, and contained a large spring, which became known as the Poor House Spring.
At the January 1855 term of County Court John Key, James Moore and S. C. Young were appointed commissioners. They were instructed to proceed to prepare the house for the reception of paupers, and as soon as this was done they were to give public notice to all paupers and persons having charge of paupers in Anderson County, to bring them forthwith to the Poor House, and if they failed to come they were to be stricken from the list of paupers and no allowance made for them henceforth.
Ezekiel Taylor was appointed superintendent in charge of the poor house, and S. C. Young was to furnish bread stuffs.
In 1874 several small houses were built on the poor farm to house married couples or families, and the main building was repaired. S. L. Moore, T. S. Kincaid and John Allen were overseers for the project. Robert Medaris was the builder.
It was noted that in the 1880s the regular cost of making coffins for paupers was $2 for an adult, and $1.50 for a child. It cost $2.50 to have a deceased pauper shaved, more than the cost of the coffin.
The Poor House commissioners were allowed $5 per year for their services; the chairman $10.
By 1895 the farm purchased in 1874 had become inadequate for care of the needy in the county, and a larger farm was purchased by the county. The following information is from the Clinton Gazette dated Oct. 30, 1894:
In 1901 a
granary was built for wheat, oats and other grain raised on the
farm. Produce was canned for winter use. Eggs and milk were
sold, above what was needed for the table.
|Return to LIST OF ARTICLES||
Return to ANDERSON Co
Return to TENNESSEE