Suffolk County Poorhouse
the Poorhouse Story
POORHOUSE HISTORY by county


.
Thomas R. Bayles Collection
An engraving depicts the 50-room almshouse near the Yaphank railroad depot, as seen in the book "Yaphank As It Is . . . "

.

The notes below have been abstracted from the following reports.
To obtain further information on these reports click on the appropriate button.
(This will open a separate window so simply close to get back to this page.)

YATES REPORT      1824 LAW      1857 REPORT EXPLANATION
the Poorhouse Story
YATES REPORT:

the Poorhouse Story
1824 LAW (required establishment of poorhouse vs. exempted):
the Poorhouse Story
1857 INVESTIGATION: 
the Poorhouse Story
PERSONAL NOTES FROM READERS:

the Poorhouse Story
LOCAL NOTES:

Finding Home "Over the Hill" 
by Rhoda Amon
Staff Writer

The wonderful article above tells the story of the almshouses  -- Jones Institute, the Hempstead Town poor farm, and the Suffolk County Farm in Yaphank -- (in the counties of Queens and Nassau and Suffolk


"A town poorhouse was erected in 1817 on a farm bought for $900. It was in use until 1872 when the residents were moved to a county facility in Yapank. Before 1817, the town farmed out poor persons to 'whomever made the lowest bid to keep them from starving."  
     from History of Coram: FOCAL POINT OF Brookhaven Town FROM 1785 to 1885
         
at http://www.longislandgenealogy.com/community.html 

the Poorhouse Story
RECORDS:

Poorhouse INMATE REGISTRATION CERTIFICATES
Microfilm Series A1978  Roll Number(s) 201-205  more information
the Poorhouse Story
CEMETERY:

the Poorhouse Story

We are hoping to build this base of information about the poorhouse in SUFFOLK county through the helpful participation of readers. All are requested to submit items of interest by sending e-mail to The Poorhouse Lady.

HOME             Back to find Other NY Counties

Poorhouse HISTORY CEMETERIES by State RECORDS by State