INVENTORY OF THE
COUNTY ARCHIVES OF OHIO
Excerpts of portions dealing with Infirmary (poorhouse) Records
[Note: Click here to see portions of important information common to all the county inventories.
|Housing, Care, and Accessibility of the Records|
The County home is situated on a several acre tract outside the
Canton city limits. It
is on Cleveland Avenue NW., with entrance near Twenty-eight Street.
The main building sets back several hundred yards from the street
on a beautiful knoll overlooking many acres of rich farm land and typical
rural scenes. The original
building, completed July
4, 1837, extends north and south, with a wing at each end running east.
Growth of the
county’s population and the proportionate increase of the indigent
element, have made it necessary to add numerous other buildings,
especially after the year 1900. The
buildings, in which are located the administrative offices and the
superintendent’s living quarters were erected in 1903 at a cost of
$44,000. In the same year were added a hospital and women’s cottage
costing $10,000 and $55,000 respectively.
In 1907 the dining room, kitchen, and corridor addition which
connects the two buildings was erected at
a cost of $35,000. A two
story, seventeen-room frame building, erected in 1917 at a cost
of $10,000, is used as a detention hospital for care and treatment of
The active records are kept in the superintendent’s office, the
bound records in his desk and the unbound in steel filing cabinets.
The inactive records are filed in a storage room
on the first floor. The
records are clean, in orderly arrangement, and accessible.
Lighting and ventilation are good.
|Superintendent of the County Home|
In 1833 the Stark County commissioners
purchased a farm of one hundred and fifty acres in Plain Township to be
used as a site for the county poorhouse. A contract was awarded in August
1836 for the erection of a building. This first building was completed and
accepted by the county on July 19, 1837. On the same day David Foltz,
Samuel Shrantz, and Jonathan Holvick were appointed directors. A hospital
was erected in 1893 and since 1900 several other buildings have been
added. The original acreage has been increased by several purchases of
adjoining real estate. There is also a farm of 384 acres situated on U.S.
Route 21, about one mile northwest of Navarre, which is under the
supervision of the superintendent and which furnishes food products for
the county home and other county institutions.
the inauguration of aid for the aged there has been a slight reduction in
the population of the Stark county home which is now approximately 270.
The social aid programs have resulted in no reduction in the cost
of operating county homes. Despite the decline in population of the county home the per
capita cost of operation has increased 39 per cent since 1934.
|Superintendent of the County Home -- Proceedings; Financial Records|
DAY AND MINUTE BOOKS, 1862-1912.
INFIRMARY REGISTER, 1937--, 5 VOLS.
TURN OVER PAPERS AND RECORD OF INMATES, 1906--, 4 f. b.
RECORD, 1907--, 32 VOLS.
HOUSE RECORD, 1837-1912. 5 VOLS. (1, 2, 3, 5, fourth vol., 1887-95,
OF EXPENDITURES, 1913--, 3 VOLS.
[Bills Allowed], 1913--, 5 VOLS. (1-5)
8 VOLS. (1-8)
OUTSIDE RELIEF RECORD, 1916-20. 1
ANNUAL POOHOUSE REPORT TO COMMISSIONERS, 1843-81 1VOL
|excerpted and transcribed by: Marie Lewis-Cook -- Dec 2000|
|Note: Most of these inventories were heavily footnoted. We did not include the footnotes (which were usually references to other documents) here because we felt that this website is for general readers without a strong academic/legal need to see these footnotes. However, they are available upon specific request from researchers who e-mail us.|