"The County Home, spacious red brick buildings of
which crest the highest hill of the rolling farmland at
2562 Cleveland Avenue N.W., now entirely surrounded by
city streets and allotments, dates back under changing
names to the county poor house, built in 1837. The
farm, originally 160 acres, was purchased in 1833 from
John Shorb and John Saxton by the Stark
County commissioners, as authorized by act of state
legislature March 8, 1831.
David Foltz, Samuel Shrantz
and Jonathan Holvick were appointed the first directors.
A hospital was erected in 1893 and other buildings
were added after 1900. Also more acres were added by
purchase, bring the total to 240 in 1876, and to
approximately 310 acres at the peak.
In 1850 the name
county poor house was changed to county infirmary, and
this again to county home in 1924.
superintendent, Walter J. Firestone, took office May 1,
1934. Sales of parcels of the ground over the
years leave about 120 acres at the present time.
Population of the home
has remained steady in recent years at between 270 and
Those eligible to live
at the county home are homeless persons who are unable to
care for themselves. They may be recipients of
social security and old age pensions, if the amounts so
received are not sufficient for them to take care of
themselves. Likewise if relatives are unable or
unwilling to care for a needy person, the latter is
eligible. Many patients have no friends. City
residents who are unemployed single men are likewise
eligible. Present population is made up of 66 women
and 236 men. Relatives will take care of women
before they will men. There are many foreign born
residents who have never married, or who left their
families behind in the old country."