PERRY COUNTY INFIRMARY -- historical notes

from
History of Fairfield and Perry Counties, Ohio, Compiled by A.A. Graham, Chicago,
W.H. Beers & Co. 1883

History of Perry County -- Chapter VII -- Courts, County Officers, Public Buildings, Etc.

found at http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~tfisher/fairfield_perry_history.htm  --
a wonderful website! -- thanks to Perry Co. Historical Society and the transcriber, Timothy E. Fisher
Directors of the Poor, appointed by the County Commissioners, preceded the Infirmary Directors. The first election for Infirmary Directors was in 1842, when James J. Wilson, John Colborn and John Wright were elected; In 1843, Bernard Grimes; in 1844, John Colborn; 1845, John Wright; 1846, Patrick McCristal; 1847, John Grimes; 1848, John Wright; 1849, Patrick McCristal; 1850, John Grimes; 1851, John Wright; 1852, Moses Riley; 1853, Patrick McCristal; 1854, Samual Forsythe; 1855, Joseph D. James; 1856, Jonah Skinner; 1857, J. D. James; 1858, John Barker; 1859, George Kishler and Philip Wolf; 1860, John Garey; 1861, John Barker; 1862, P.J. Kelley; 1863, John Garey; 1864, John Randolph; 1865, Philip Wolf; 1866, John Flannagan; 1867, John Dillon; 1868, Philip Wolf; 1869, John Flannagan; 1870, John Dillon; 1871, Samuel Brown; 1872, William Adams; 1873, Robert Bennett; 1874, Samuel Brown; 1875, William Adams; 1876, Robert Bennett; 1877, Samuel Brown; 1878, L. A. Dean; 1879, Joseph Frymute; 1880, John Amrine; 1881, Kelita Rodgers.                             p.50
The Directors of the Poor purchased a quarter section of land of William Brown in 1836, said farm being situated one mile northwest of New Lexington. The Infirmary Directors decided to erect an infirmary building, and in 1839 entered into contract with Peter A. Vansickle and Patrick McDonald for the erection of such building. The house was erected in 1839 and 1840, and was built adjoining the farm-house already there, which old part was for a long time used and occupied by the Superintendent. A very large addition was made to the original buildings a few years ago, in consequence of pressing demands for more room and better accommodations for the friendless and infirm.                p. 57

Return to OHIO                          HOME