Copied from Jacoby's History of Marion County,
THE MARION COUNTY INFIRMARY.
The paupers of the county were taken care of by their
respective townships until 1852, when the county established an
Infirmary just north of Marion. It consisted of a small tract of
ground and several log buildings. In 1869 these ancient structures
burned down, and the commissioners then purchased 130 acres on the
Claridon road, two and a half miles east of Marion, to which have
since been added 100 acres more.
The first superintendent of the new Infirmary was
Daniel Lawrence, who served in that capacity from 1871 to 1885, when
he was succeeded by John Hogan. Mr. Hogan served until April 1, 1900
since which time William F. Hurr, the present superintendent, has
managed the institution.
The last annual report gave the inmates received
during the year as 151 and the expenses of the institution for year as
$8,949.23, and for outside relief as $7,342.26. The value of the farm,
buildings, stock, machinery and equipment is not far from $50,000. The
average number of inmates last year was 82, but at present (December,
1906) the number of inmates is reduced to 60.
Marion Ohio Poor House
[The above website contains two files which are extracted from
the Marion County Ohio Poorhouse / Infirmary records. They
include all admissions from 1856, the opening of the poorhouse,
through 1888. The entries include date of event (admission,
leaving, death, birth), name, age, township, and comments.(Both
files contain the same information -- just the order is
different.) The Poor House records have been microfilmed and are
available (on film #1869488) through your local LDS Family
History Library. The original record books are in the Ohio
Historical Society Library, located at 1985 Velma Avenue,
Note: For every county in Ohio it would be a good idea to check
the statewide resources listed below.