INVENTORY OF THE
COUNTY ARCHIVES OF OHIO
Excerpts of portions dealing with Infirmary (poorhouse) Records
[Note: Click here to see portions of important information common to all the county inventories.
|Superintendent of the County Home|
The original county home of Lake County consisted of the ordinary farm
buildings on a farm purchased at a cost of $4,000 in 1852, and the first
inmate was admitted in that year. The
site of 116 acres situated on Riverside Road has been subsequently added
to until the present farm comprises 190 acres, of which 125 are tillable.
The contract for the present building was let in 1876, at $30,000.
It consisted of a two-story brick building, with administration
accommodations in the front and rooms for the inmates in the rear.
The original farm buildings were left standing and have been in use
ever since the farm was purchased. The
plant has since been enlarged and modernized.
In 1897 a cottage hospital was added at a cost of $1421.95.
Since 1924, however, when Lake County Memorial Hospital was
built, inmates of the institution are taken there when their condition is
such that they cannot be adequately cared for in the county home hospital.
A fire escape was put on the main building in 1898.
The home is administered by a
superintendent and a matron, who are aided by a staff of six assistants.
The superintendent is bonded for $5,000, and his salary has been
set at $1,950 annually. The
aggregate annual compensation of the staff for 1941 is $5,490.91.
In 1940 the total appropriation made by the commissioners for
maintaining the county home was $14,540.
Religious services are supplied to the inmates by inviting preachers of
different denominations in succession to perform services for them.
The advent of old age pensions has not greatly affected the population of
the county home since a large number of the inmates are foreigners who
would not in any case be eligible.
records are located in the office at the county home, Riverside Drive and
Route 84, Painesville, Ohio.
REGISTER OF INMATES, 1852--.
2 vols. Title varies:
of persons admitted to the institution, showing date admitted, name, age,
sex, color, native of, transported by, reason for admittance, date
discharged, transferred, or date of death, where transferred, where
buried, case history, and remarks. Arr.
chron. by dates of admittances. 1852-94,
indexed alph. by names of inmates; 1895--,
no index. 1852-94 hdw.;
1895--, hdw. on p. f. Aver.
300 pp. 14 x 9-1/2 x 1-1/2.
DAILY MOVEMENT OF INMATES, 1926-- 1 file folder.
record of admissions and discharges of inmates, showing date admitted,
date discharged, total days spent at infirmary, number of inmates at beginning of day,
male and female, total number received during day, number
discharged or died during day, number discharge or died during day, total
average for month, number of males and females continuously present for
entire month, number of deaths during month, number received who were
former inmates. Arr. chron.
by dates of entries. No
index. Hdw. on p. f. 9 x
11-1/2 x 1/2.
REPORT TO DIVISION OF AID FOR AGED (Division of Charities),1923-,
Financial reports of county infirmary to state division of charities, showing dates covered, itemized expenditures, amount for each listed item, total, gross cost per capita, net cost per capita, estimated total value of farm products, total acreage of farm, number of acres improved, amount spent for improvements, number of inmates, male, female, total, ages, color, place of nativity, physical and mental condition; also inventory of furnishings and equipment, with total value last year, and total value this year. Arr. chron. by dates of reports. No index. Hdw. on p. f. 9 x 11-1/2 x 1/2.
REQUISITIONS, 1923--. 4
of requisitions to county commissioners for materials and supplies,
showing date of requisition, requisition number, purpose, quantity, unit
description, unit price, amount, order number, and code number.
Arr. chron. by dates of requisitions and also num. by requisition
nos. No index.
Hdw. on p. f. Aver.
100 pp. 7-1/2 x 8-1/2 x 1/4.
PETTY CASH, 1923--. 1
vol. Initiated 1923.
record of money paid out from superintendent's office fund, showing date
of entry, to whom paid, for what purpose, amount, and total.
Arr. chron. by dates of entries.
No index. Hdw. 300 pp.
10-1/2 x 8-1/2 x 1-1/2.
CLASSIFIED RECEIPTS AND EXPENDITURES,1908--.
4 vols. (1-4).
of money received and expended by infirmary; receipts, showing date
received, from whom, for what purpose, whether from inmates or friends of
inmates, names of persons donating money from Lake County or other
counties, and from sources other than county treasurer, total receipts,
payments into county treasury for infirmary use; also distribution of
money received for purchase of farm stock, implements, produce, and other
infirmary expenses by classification, showing date of entry, to whom
expended, purpose expended, classified as
salary of superintendent, matron, day laborers, repairs, provisions,
fuel and light, clothing and footwear, drugs and medicine, tobacco,
livestock, hay, grain, feed, vehicles, tools, implements, furniture,
burial, miscellaneous, and total. Arr.
chron. by dates of entries. No
index. Hdw. on p. f. Aver. 230 pp. 17 x 15 x 1-1/2.
INVENTORY, 1926--. 1 file folder.
of material assets of county infirmary, showing date of inventory, name of
department, location, description of materials, price or value, quantity,
total value, extension, by whom priced or valued, entered, examined,
checked, and extended. Arr.
chron. by dates of inventories. No
The commissioners are active also in county welfare work.
They appoint a superintendent for the infirmary, keep the buildings
in repair, and authorize the construction of new buildings when necessary.
They undertake the construction, maintenance, and supervision of
the various homes and institutions for the unfortunate and needy.
The first Lake County Infirmary was established in 1852 at a cost
of $4,000. The present home
was built in 1878 at a cost of $30,000.
The farm contains 190 acres. Since
January 1913, the county commissioners have served as a board of directors
for the home. The commissioners appoint a board of five trustees to govern the
Lake County Memorial Hospital, organized in 1902 as the Painesville
Hospital Association, and now occupying a building constructed in 1922-24
at a cost of $200,000. Relief
since 1936 has been administered by a director, appointed by the
commissioners. Not only is
the power of appointment of clerks, boards, and superintendents of county
welfare agencies lodged with the commissioners, but they are charged also
with the duty of visiting the various welfare agencies once each six
|Roster of County Officials|
|Infirmary Directors* p. 236|
|excerpted and transcribed by: Sheila Geaslin -- Jan 2001|
|Note: Most of these inventories were heavily footnoted. We did not include the footnotes (which were usually references to other documents) here because we felt that this website is for general readers without a strong academic/legal need to see these footnotes. However, they are available upon specific request from researchers who e-mail us.|