INVENTORY OF THE
COUNTY ARCHIVES OF OHIO
Excerpts of portions dealing with Infirmary (poorhouse) Records
[Note: Click here to see portions of important information common to all the county inventories.
|Of all the Ohio counties for which we have summarized the county inventory, this one has the most extensive list of poorhouse records. We have also taken this opportunity to include (for only this county) some records which dealt, not with the poorhouse, but with other aspects of poor relief. Those have been highlighted below. We have done this so people researching other counties may have this expanded example PHL|
|Superintendent of the County Home|
The Franklin County board
of commissioners, early in 1832, made plans for construction of a county
poorhouse. The board
advertised for bids in the local papers, and by April 5, 1832, bought
for $5, 354, “one hundred and five acres, one rod and ten poles of
land” formerly owned by Lucas Sullivant, the founder of
Franklinton. The following
month a special poorhouse levy of two mills on the dollar was made.
Carpentry, masonry, and plaster work were contracted for, and on
July 3 Matthew Matthews was appointed the first superintendent of
the poorhouse. The site was
not satisfactory, however, and on December 14, sale of the land was
advertised in the Ohio State Journal and Ohio Stateman.
On this same day the
commissioners, bought for $800, five acres of land on what is now King
Avenue, immediately west of the Olentangy River.
By the time the foundations were finished the commissioners
realized the location was too close to the city and contained
insufficient acreage. Ralph
Osborn, Dr. Lincoln Goodale, and Jacob Grubb were appointed the
... first directors of the
poorhouse, and they aided the commissioners in seeking a new site.
Land a mile and a half southeast of the city in Montgomery
Township, was obtained and a poorhouse completed.
A few years later, larger quarters were necessary, and on April
19, 1871, the commissioners and infirmary directors examined plans and
decided upon the Hardin County plan, perfected by N. B. Kelley,
architect of the state house. With
Mr. Kelley they visited the infirmary farm and selected a site for the
buildings which were later erected.
Then years later larger
buildings and additional land again became imperative and the
commissioners bought land from Philip Schwatz and John G.
Edwards, in Marion Township, on Alum Creek about five miles
southeast of Columbus. The
purchase was completed in February 1881, and by April 13 of the
following year, bonds and contracts were signed providing for labor and
materials for the new Franklin County Home.
On October 29, 1883, the commissioners accepted the present home
and placed it under the supervision of the infirmary directors.
The main building, an
imposing three-story red-brick structure with a stone basement, placed
in an attractive setting of large trees, faces the west side of
Lockbourne Road. It
contains the administrative office and an 150-room domicile.
Directly north is the three-story, white brick hospital,
completed in 1928. This
accommodates 125 patients and has modern hospital facilities.
Doctors from nearby Bexley are subject to call at all times. The daily average number of inmates at the home during 1941
was 336. Those who are able
to do so, work on the 265 acre farm.
Hogs are raised, and much food for the institution is grown on
the 225 acres under cultivation. There
are some farm buildings, including four garages, granaries, tool sheds,
and barns for cows and horses.
All records are
located in the county home, Alum Creek Drive, Columbus.
|Housing, Care, and Accessibility of the Records|
Superintendent of the County Home.
Situated on Alum Creek Drive just outside the southeastern
corporation limits of Columbus, the county home is a rambling oblong
brick structure of two stories, with a high, full basement.
The administrative offices on the first floor of the central
section of the building house 60 percent of the records.
In the clerk’s office and in the superintendent’s office, are
62 linear feet of volumes on wooden shelving, and 285 cubic feet of
unbound material in a large steel safe and in 3 steel filing cabinets
and 9 wooden filing cabinets. Arrangement
and accessibility are good. The
remainder of the records are in a storage room in the east part of the
central basement, consisting of approximately 300 cubic feet of unbound
material stacked on wooden shelving.
The haphazard arrangement makes for poor accessibility.
There are no windows and practically no ventilation.
The floor is of concrete. The
administrative offices have room for expansion but there is an apparent
need for more steel filing equipment.
|County Commissioners -- Institutions and Relief|
4. INFIRMARY JOURNAL, 1913--. 2 vols. (1,2).
Copies of commissioners' proceedings in connection with administration of county home, showing date of meeting, action on resolutions, and record of motions passed; record of appointments and fixing of salaries of employees; and record of bills and claims allowed, showing name of creditor, purpose, and amount of claim. Also includes copies of proceedings of board of county commissioners pertaining to appointments and fixing of salaries of employees of the tuberculosis hospital and camp. Arr. chron. by dates of meetings. For index to bills allowed, see entry 5; otherwise, no index. Typed. Aver. 600 pp. 18 x 12 x 3. Vlt.
For prior records, see entry 1023.
5. INDEX TO COMMISSIONERS' COUNTY HOME JOURNAL, 1912--. 5 vols.
6. EXPENDITURES, 1913--. 4 vols. (1-4).
7. [REPORTS, INFIRMARY DIRECTORS],
1869-71, 1874-78, 1880-82, 1887-90, 1893-1909.
In Auditors Vouchers, entry 771.
24 f. b.
RECORD OF INFIRMARY COMMITMENT,
1913--, 2 vols.
10. [OUTSIDE RELIEF], 1924--. 1
vol. Last entry 1936.
|County Commissioners -- Fiscal Accounts|
DOCKET OF BILLS FILED -- COUNTY INFIRMARY,
1913--. 4 vols. (one
|County Commissioners -- Financial Records|
OFFICIALS’ REPORTS, 1911--.
11 f. b.
|Auditors -- Financial Records|
INFIRMARY ORDERS, 1855-95. 5 f. b.
|Superintendent of the County Home -- Minutes; Registers; Case Records|
RECORD [Minutes], 1900-1913. 3
1876--. 4 vols.
(1 - 4).
INDEX BOOK, 1876--. 4
VISITORS REGISTER, 1870-94.
CASES, current. 6 f. b.
current. 3 f. d.
... without official leave,
discharged, or died, date of leave, discharge, or death is also shown.
1 file drawer is index to active cases; 1 file drawer, to
inactive cases; 1 file drawer, to deaths.
Arr. alph. by names of inmates.
Hdw. on p. f. 6 x 14 x 24. Supt.
Trustees’ Relief], 1880-95.
BURIAL RECORD, 1908-20. 1 vol.
DEATHS, 1931--. 1 vol.
PHYSICIANS RECORD, 1871-72.
DAILY RECORD OF MOVEMENT OF POPULATION, 1910--.
DAILY RECORD [of Inmates], 1882--.
8 vols. Title
varies: Day Book, 1910-29.
1035. OLD AGE PENSION CASES, 1935--. 1 f.
[HOSPITAL RECORD], current. 4 case card folders.
LEDGER OF ACCOUNTS, 1897--.
CASH BOOK, 1863-93, 1897-1908, 1919--.
12 vols. Title
varies: Journal, 1863-80, 1897-1908, 7 vols; Expense Book, 1881-93,
EXPENDITURES AND RECEIPTS, 1908-18.
RECEIPTS, 1928--. 1 vol.
JOURNAL [County Home], 1894-1916.
... shows a record of amounts
paid for transportation of inmates to the places of their legal
residence, giving date, name and legal residence of inmate, mode of
transportation, and amount. Also
includes, 1896-1908, copies of semiannual reports of the board of
directors to the county commissioners, showing date of report,
statistics on admissions, discharges, deaths, and number of inmates card
for; also financial reports of itemized receipts and disbursements.
Arr. chron. by dates of entries.
No index. Hdw. on p.
f. Aver 300 pp. 18
x 14 x 2. Supt. ofc.
BILLS, 1908--. 1 f. b.
CONTRACTS, 1905--. 1 f. b.
COAL BOOK, 1918--. 1 vol.
|Roster of County Officials|
Ralph Osborn 1832-1842
P. B. Wilcox 1832-1842
George Frankenberg 1842-1848
Augustus S. Decker 1842-1849
Robert Riorden 1842-1849
John Walton 1848-1852
S. D. Preston 1849-1853
Arthur O’Harra 1849-1854
Amos S. Ramsey 1852-1855
Rufus Main 1853-1856
Orrin Backus 1854-1857
L. J. Moeller 1855-1861
John Lisle 1856-1859
William Aston 1857-1860
Newton Gibbons 1860-1869
Philemon Hess 1861-1867
Frederick Beck 1865-1868
Jacob Grau 1867-1870
Frederick Fornoff 1868-1871
Henry L. Seibert 1869-1872
William H. Gaver 1870-1879
John Schneider 1871-1877
John E. Earhart 1872-1881
James Burns 1877-1883
Christian Engroff 1879-1886
Jacob Reed 1881-1885
James C. Cleary 1895-1898
Harvey Lisle 1885-1891
|excerpted and transcribed by: Jacqueline Baral -- Jan 2001|
|Note: Most of these inventories were heavily footnoted. We did not include the footnotes (which were usually references to other documents) here because we felt that this website is for general readers without a strong academic/legal need to see these footnotes. However, they are available upon specific request from researchers who e-mail us.|