"The first hospital in Central Ohio was Franklin
County’s "Poor House" which was mandated by Ohio
Legislation on March 8, 1831. The poor house was originally
located on a farm at the fork of the Olentangy and Scioto Rivers,
three miles from Columbus.
In 1839 the Poor House moved to a new facility on
the west side of King Avenue, one mile west of High Street. An
average of 45 patients were seen annually by 1849.
In 1847, City Hospital was erected on the
southeast corner of the Poor House grounds. This hospital
served persons infected with contagious diseases. An act of
legislature in March 1850 changed the name of all Ohio Poor Houses
to "County Infirmaries."
On December 1, 1869, the county commissioners
purchased 150 acres on the west side of the Olentangy River, two
miles north of the State House, one mile west of High Street for the
New County Infirmary. It consisted of a central administrative
section and two distinct parts for male and female patients, with a
kitchen in the basement, two dining rooms on the second floor, and a
chapel on the third floor. The fire proof building was
equipped with steam heat and gas lights."
[The above is from http://bones.med.ohio-state.edu/heritage/hospitals/