Note: This timeline has been
constructed using the material listed below.
|This information was generously submitted by Linda C. Koehler firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Here is a brief summary which we
hope will help you keep these institutions clear:
1. There was a city almshouse in Poughkeepsie
2. This almshouse became a county almshouse (for both city and county paupers)
3. In 1863 the city and county separated their poor relief programs.
-- The county built a new county poorhouse in Oak Summit/Millbrook in 1863.
-- The City of Poughkeepsie kept the old property and replaced the old building
with a new City Almshouse in 1868-69.
|From James Smith’s “History of Dutchess County” (1882), pp.120-121|
|1741 -- The first county poor
relief act was passed.
??? -- A poorhouse
was established in Poughkeepsie "opposite the present [1881}
1856 -- An act was passed
allowing the Supervisors to contract for the support and
April 7, 1863 --
"David S. Tallman, John Ferris and Albert Emons were commissioned
May 28, 1863 -- "They received
a deed for 74 acres, 1 rood and 29 perches of land in
“The building erected for the poor
in [as a county poorhouse in
Oak Summit/Millbrook in the town of Washington] 1863, cost $14,380, including boiler and heater,
1865 -- "A house
for the keeper was erected at a cost of $5,764.92, and in the same
“ ‘The evils resulting from the
want of adaptation becoming more evident year by year, the
"This sum proved inadequate to
accomplish all that was needed and contemplated, but
1880 -- "The
Superintendent, David S. Tallman, entered upon the duties of his office
"Children at two years of
age are placed in the Orphan House at Poughkeepsie,
"The institution is deficient in
its provisions for the sick. Medical attendance is secured
"The house work is done by the
women, and most of the farm work by the men. The
|From Edmund Platt’s “History of Poughkeepsie” (1905), p.190|
During the [Civil] war a feeling of
antagonism between the city and the county resulted in a
Accordingly April 29th the Legislature
passed an act providing for the change and naming James
All excise moneys and all fines from
the Recorder’s court were to be appropriated for the support of the
city poor under control of this board. In the division of property with the
county the city purchased the old county house grounds and in 1868-69 the
present  main
Linda C. Koehler's Additional Notes
In the 1850 census for Poughkeepsie,
the “County Poor Home” is enumerated on pp. 142-144
|When the new County Alms House opened, in October 1864, the first superintendent was Edgar Vanderburgh.|
The County Poor House and the
Superintendent’s House both appear on the 1867 Beers
From Roy Ahlquist’s “A Postal
History: Town of Washington” (1995)
Oak Summit, NY : “Oak Summit is located about one-half mile south of South Millbrook. Summit road passes through it. Oak Summit is rural farmland today. In 1870 the Dutchess & Columbia railroad was completed. The first stop in the Town of Washington was at Coffins Summit, named for Robert G. Coffin, one of the individuals instrumental in having the railroad constructed.”
DiArpino’s history of the town of Washington relates the story that the name of the railroad stop was changed because of the reluctance of the conductor to call out “Coffin’s Station” as they came up to the stop.
A short distance north of the depot there was a store, and north of the store, but on the other side of Summit Road was the county poor house. Robert G. Coffin established Coffins Summit Post Office, and a report he submitted to Washington dated March 31, 1890 verifies a name change - “Oak Summit late Coffins Summit”. The post office was discontinued in 1918.
In the 1870 census, the “County Alms
House” is enumerated in the town of Washington
A modern road map (no date - 1970s?) shows County House Road connecting Oak Summit Road and Rt. 343, just east and parallel to County Rt. 82 for the short distance it extends. The locality Oak Summit on the map is on Oak Summit Rd. southeast of the intersection with County House Road.